Essay House listed for sale

The Malahide house that is the prize in an essay-writing contest that ends April 30 was listed for sale by a London realtor last week.

The property at 50279 Talbot Line east of Aylmer was listed for sale at $239,900 by London’s Royal LePage Triland Realty on April 7.

Around the same time, the couple who own the home, Calvin and Diana Brydges, also listed their downtown Aylmer thrift store building, This ‘N’ That at 55 Talbot St. East, for sale with another London realtor.

That building is listed at $255,000.

12 Comments

1. Linda Levesque on May 25, 2014 at 1:08 am

I’m curious to know as to when the people who submitted their entry fee and essays will have the $100.00 (less banking fees) returned to them. As their site (facebook) is not open, would you (local paper) have any information

2. Chris Hennessey on May 31, 2014 at 5:37 pm

I would be curious about the same…I have not yet received my money back from the first contest.

3. Gail Steneren on June 19, 2014 at 4:18 pm

I’m interested in knowing when my entrance fee into the contest will be returned as well. It is now mid June and I have heard nothing. I did move in Oct/13 but spoke to “3rd party” after that…They also had my phone number which remains the same.

4. Marilyn Steckly on June 19, 2014 at 4:30 pm

I was also wondering when we are suppose to get our $93 refund back. I also have left my essay submission in from the first time around. It has been 50 days since the contest ended.

5. William Smale on June 20, 2014 at 8:08 pm

you likely will not be receiving your money back folks….And there is no “3rd party”…

6. Lane Adams on June 24, 2014 at 2:10 pm

I entered, also, and have yet to receive my refund. I entered the first round of competition and did not receive any communication from anyone about my entry fee when the contest closed without the 3000 entrants. I wrote a letter to the Brydges saying that, given the silence, I assumed that my entry fee would be used for the second round of competition and, if so, that would be okay. I did not receive a response and, now, two months after the contest closed, I have yet to receive a refund. The fact that the property was listed for sale and the Facebook page was taken down before the contest closing date made me nervous. That’s NOT how a contest is supposed to be run. The property ought not to have been listed before April 30th. And how many entries were received? Do we even know? The fact that I have not received a refund is both upsetting and unsettling. I can only assume, in the circumstances, that my hard-earned money has been lost.

7. Janis Milliken on June 25, 2014 at 10:22 pm

They would be in a whole lot of trouble if they did not return the fees as dictated in the rules. That would amount to fraud. Hopefully we all get our fees back soon.

8. William Smale on June 27, 2014 at 9:08 pm

“Fraud” was the Brydges game from the get-go..The only ones who may get a refund are the ones who complain hard enough..The Elgin OPP really need to be called asap…

9. William Smale on June 27, 2014 at 9:11 pm

Elgin County OPP 519-631-2920

10. Lane Adams on July 6, 2014 at 11:11 am

Still no refund… This is TERRIBLE!!! Where is the outcry? The Globe and Mail and CBC profiled the contest. Why don’t they profile the Brydges’ failure to complete the contest (instead of removing the Facebook posting and listing the house for sale before the closing date) and refund money?

11. Clayton Self on July 10, 2014 at 7:30 pm

I created a new facebook webpage here for contestants who never received a refund to join and share

12. Janis Milliken on July 30, 2014 at 7:31 pm

Everyone who was affected by the scam are encouraged to contact the police. The number is given above.